Following a Raw Vegan Diet means only eating foods that are completely raw or heated at temperatures below 104–118°F (40–48°C). This means no more processed foods or food altered from its natural state, such as potato chips or pasta. Sorry, Italians! So what the heck can we eat? A raw vegan diet consists of lots of fruits and vegetables, nuts, and legumes uncooked of course.
Still, think this diet sounds cray? Let’s check out the benefits.
BENEFITS OF A RAW VEGAN DIET
- Less inflammation in our bodies.
- Lower levels of IGF-1 (we want low levels because high levels can lead to breast and prostate cancer). IGF-1 is a hormone found naturally in your blood. Its main job is to regulate the effects of growth hormone (GH) in your body. Normal IGF-1 and GH functions include tissue and bone growth.
- We can eat superfoods in abundance and feel satisfied since raw foods are low in calories.
- It is known as a healing diet. According to Dr. Axe, “Raw foods help alkalize the body, reduce acidity, and have less of a chance of fermenting in the gut and causing inflammation/ autoimmune reactions.” Improved digestion. High energy. Clear up the skin.
- It can help lower your chance of stroke, heart failure, stomach cancer, and kidney disease because the diet is low in sodium.
Wow, these benefits sound amazing, but what exactly can I eat? What do I have to say goodbye to?
WHAT TO EAT
- Raw fruits
- Raw vegetables
- Sprouted grains: Unhulled farro, quinoa, brown rice, etc. (Soaked not cooked)
- Sprouted legumes: Lentils, pinto beans, etc that sprout in warm water
- Raw nuts
- Raw seeds
- Almond milk made with raw almonds
- Raw tofu
WHAT TO AVOID
- White/Wild Rice
- Dairy products
- Baked goods
- Processed foods that come in a package
- Cooked fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes
- Roasted nuts and seeds
- Refined oils
- Refined sugars and flours
- Pasteurized juices
- Coffee and tea
Now that we know what’s on and off-limits when it comes to a raw vegan diet, let’s dive into our meal plan for the week. To make this meal plan even more amazing we did it in under $20 at our local Walmart! Let’s start eating healthy and saving money today!
RAW VEGAN WALMART GROCERY SHOPPING LIST
|$2.28||Green Bell Peppers|
|$1.00||Cauliflower and Broccoli Mix|
|$0.98||Peas and Carrots Mix|
|$1.68||Portobello Mushroom Caps|
Ditch the bread and try some delicious sweet potato toast!
Water in a smoothie? Are you crazy? Only a little, but that’s what happens when you’re on a tight budget girl!
Who needs a tortilla when you can use collard wraps?
Stuffed Mushrooms, an all-time fave!
Nothing beats delicious stuffed peppers!
Now let’s try a delicious raw vegan salad!
By the end of the week, you should have a good amount of food leftover, pick and choose what you want to eat again!
Interested in reading more of our $20 meal plan articles?