Who doesn't love a good beach trip? The warm sand, fresh air, and cool water are the perfect getaway for any hot summer day. Beaches aren't just for relaxing though—they also make the perfect gym too! The weight and resistance of the sand will naturally intensify your cardio and leg exercises, allowing you to amp up your workout while enjoying some beautiful scenery as well. It almost sounds too good to be true, right? So, the next time you pack up your bikini and suncreen, make sure you pack some workout gear too, and try out this awesome beach workout!
Stretching should be done before every workout in order to prevent pulling muscles or waking up sore the next day. Stretching is also a great way to clear your mind and find some inner peace before the intensity of your workout begins. Here's a simple but effective stretch sequence:
- Rotate your head clockwise and side to side.
- Start with your arms at your sides, then raise them above your head, to the top of your neck, then extend each arm to the opposite side (left arm to the right, right arm to the left).
- Standing up straight, bend over sideways to the left and right. You should feel a gentle stretch along your sides.
- Bend over and touch your toes. Hold for as long as possible.
- Standing up straight, kick your left leg back and hold your foot with your left hand. Attempt to balance on one leg for as long as possible, taking deep breaths while doing so. Repeat on right leg.
Next up, Cardio!
As stated earlier, the resistance and weight of the sand will amplify your cardio exercises. You will feel a noticeable difference between jogging and running down the beach vs. jogging and running on a flat surface. Try out this easy cardio routine:
- Lightly jog up and down the beach 3 times.
- Standing in place, do 3 reps of 10 high knees.
- Increase your pace, and run up and down the beach 3 times.
Last but not least, LEGS!
You've gotta keep those legs toned so you can rock all the cutest shorts this summer! Leg workouts are pretty simple:
- Complete a full set of lunges down the beach.
- Using a resistance band around your ankles, get into squat position and walk from left to right.
- Complete 3 reps of 10 jump squats.