TWO is better than one! Our June 2019 photo contest on Instagram was one for the books. Voting was tight, and technology was out of whack, so we ended up choosing a 2nd winner! (check out the 1st winner)
Meet Talen Lane. The 32-year-old, who grew up in Johnson City and Nashville, TN, is a buyer and yoga enthusiast! Talen can stay optimistic about her future and goals by living by the motto, “There’s no competition when you’re manifesting in your own lane.” AMEN SISTER!
Want to learn more about Talen? Keep reading because we caught up with her and discovered everything there is to know about her life! So sit back and prepare to be inspired.
1. Tell us how your winning photo came about?
I teach yoga and we were in the middle of bringing awareness to our chakras. The photographer captured the moment where I was breathing into manipura (solar plexus) located at the navel. What is amazing is so many people struggle with not only the energy contained there, but their confidence and self-love of their stomach and he captured a vulnerable moment.
2. Please briefly share your fitness journey with us.
I began my fitness journey by taking barre classes after years of inactivity after college. I turned around one day and decided I could no longer lie to myself about the unhealthy state I had found myself in. I changed to clean eating (with a cheat day) and found exercise that I loved. After months of taking classes, eating well and dropping 15 pounds I was ready to get certified. I certified in barre and taught for two years before finding yoga. It took my soul in a different and unexpected way. Yoga is not just fitness, its emotional, spiritual and woven with a moral compass. I gained my 200 Hour RYT and began training others to teach yoga around the country. In 2018, I completed my E-RYT 200 Hour and YAECP (I am an experienced teacher and students can get continuing education hours by taking trainings with me).
3. We believe fitness + friendship = FUN! What is your favorite group fitness workout?
11:11 The Practice is a power yoga class that I teach that incorporates cardio intervals and palindrome sequencing all set to an urban playlist. It takes you on a journey because although we begin and end the class the same way, you never know what’s coming, which keeps the class interesting.
4. While working out is important, so is eating the right foods. What is your go-to pre-workout meal?
I really prefer to work out fasted. With the twisting in yoga, having a full stomach is really tough to enjoy so pre-workout is water! After a workout I try to stick to lean meats (fish or turkey), green vegetables and complex carbs (sweet potatoes).
5. What is one item that is always in your gym bag?
A hair tie. I have a disgust for wet hair touching my skin!
6. What are your top 3 fitness Instagram accounts to follow?
7. What is one thing people would be surprised to learn about you?
I drink my tequila straight up on the rocks
8. What are your top three goals you hope to accomplish in life?
- Continue to grow and evolve into a human I can be proud of for myself and the other roles in my life. (Wife, Bonus Mom, Aunt, Sister and Friend)
- Motivate POC to try yoga, an industry that you don’t see much representation and mentor young women to take care of themselves in all facets
- Be able to quit the corporate grind and make a living outside of the office
9. What does PRETTY GIRLS SWEAT mean to you?
There is nothing like a good sweat to make you feel accomplished! I used to have clients who would secretly adjust the air conditioning while I was teaching so they wouldn’t sweat. I could never understand it because I need to be a mess when I leave class. Hair frizzy, mascara running and clothes drenched. I work hard for my sweat and still look pretty doing it!
10. Since PRETTY GIRLS SWEAT, what is your favorite deodorant?
This is a complex question! I recently tried to transition to natural deodorant and after 4 fails, I am back to my trust Dove Original. I am going to give natural another try, but that journey is expensive to find something that works for you!
11. How can readers stay in touch with you on social media?
Facebook: In My Lane
Do you want to enter our next photo contest, get featured on our homepage for a month, win prizes, and score an exclusive interview? Follow us on Instagram at @prettygirlssweat. On the 1st day of each month, we post our latest photo contest. Enter early by tagging us with your favorite active photo of yourself!