Georgia-born personal trainer and nutritionist Brittany Timpson has brains, beauty, and loves breaking a sweat. The 24-year-old, who currently works as an Air Force Material Acquisition Civil Engineer, shapes her life by the quote, “Just because you have a dream doesn’t mean it’ll be given to you. You still have to go catch it!” We recently chatted with our June photo contest winner about how fitness has helped her push past tough times, her go-to healthy meals, and much more.
1. Tell us how your winning photo came about?
I had just returned from a deployment in the Middle East where I was able to get into the best shape of my life. While I was there, a photography director wanted to fly me to New York and provide boarding so that we could have a photo shoot. I didn’t have to pay for the transportation while there or boarding. I literally just took the photography team to dinner for the five days I stayed.
2. Please briefly share your fitness journey with us.
When I was 17 years old, I lived in Alaska alone with no family, and I struggled with depression and self-harm. It was fitness that helped me overcome my depression, as well as motivate me to compete in the NPC bikini division. Since then I’ve gone on to become a certified personal trainer and nutritionist so, that I would be able to educate others on how to adopt healthier lifestyles.
3. We believe fitness + friendship = FUN! What is your favorite group fitness workout?
I actually love yoga. When I’m looking for a change of pace I attend a few yoga classes which help remind me that there are always areas I can work on to strengthen.
4. While working out is important, so is eating the right foods. What is your go-to pre-workout meal? How do you refuel after a workout?
My favorite pre-workout meal is taco seasoned ground turkey with black beans and jasmine rice. I refuel with half of an avocado and two boiled eggs!
5. What is one item that is always in your gym bag?
6. What are your top 3 fitness Instagram accounts to follow?
7. What is one thing people would be surprised to learn about you?
I struggle with anxiety. When I become emotional or stressed, this usually results in me having a panic attack or fainting. I’m learning to channel my emotions differently so that I’m not as affected.
8. What are your top three goals you hope to accomplish in life?
I hope to establish a successful brand that includes training and meal prep delivery services, become an active speaker for events to educate women on fitness and nutrition and to be a partner with an established gym in L.A.
9. What does PRETTY GIRLS SWEAT mean to you?
We as women hold different yet important roles in life whether it may be as mothers, daughters, sisters or friends. If we plan on fulfilling these roles, we have to take interest in our health and wellbeing by adopting healthy lifestyles such as staying ACTIVE. Healthy is pretty! Strong is pretty! There’s beauty in encouraging the women around you to adopt an active lifestyle.
10. Since PRETTY GIRLS SWEAT, what is your favorite deodorant?
I actually sweat terribly due to my anxiety, but Secret Clinical has really helped me put that problem to an end. It smells good, and hardly ever stains my clothes.