In honor of Meatless Monday, have a go at a black bean, corn, and spinach burrito. Scrap the misconception that vegetarian cuisine is boring, bland, and never fulfilling. Enjoy this meatless meal that is ready in 15 minutes. It’s simple, easy to make, and more than satisfying to the taste buds.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- ½ cup frozen spinach
- ½ tablespoon of fresh garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup sweet corn off the cob (frozen corn will work as well)
- ¾ cup of black beans, rinsed and dried thoroughly
- ½ orange or red bell pepper, vertically sliced
- 2 corn tortilla (for a healthier alternative, use whole wheat or whole grain tortillas)
- 1 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes
- 1- 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- about a 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
WHAT TO DO:
1. In a medium-sized frying pan over a medium heat, add enough olive oil to cover the bottom surface of the pan. Add in the minced garlic.
2. Once the garlic has slightly turned brown, add in the spinach and sauté for 4-5 minutes, add a pinch of salt and push to the side of the pan.
3. Add the sliced bell pepper and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes and push to another side of the pan.
4. Add in the black beans to the center of the pan, stirring for 4-5 minutes. Lastly, add the corn and mix in with the beans cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Mix together the spinach, corn, black beans, and bell pepper together and add in the red pepper flakes and a dash of black pepper. If needed, add a small amount of water or olive oil to the pan to prevent any sticking.
6. Lastly, add the two tortillas on top of the spinach and bean mixture. Cover the pan with a lid and turn the flame off. This will steam the tortillas, making them soft, warm, and chewy.
7. To plate, add about 3-4 hearty spoonfuls of the spinach and bean mixture. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy this hearty meatless meal while folded into a burrito or with a fork!