The Ketogenic diet is a low-carb, high-fat dieting plan that can help you lose weight and improve your health. The diet has been promoted by many celebrities including Kourtney Kardashian, Halle Berry, and Lebron James. It was designed to help put your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. Ketosis is a natural state in which your body produces ketone bodies out of fat. In this state, your body becomes more efficient at burning fat for energy. The ketones supply this energy to the brain and reduce blood sugar and insulin levels. It has been revered as a holistic approach to health and wellness due to its numerous health benefits beyond weight loss. If you are considering the Ketogenic diet, here are three things to consider.
Fact #1: There Are A Few Variations
To be exact, there are 4 variations
: Standard ketogenic diet (SKD), Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD), Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD), and the High-protein ketogenic diet.
• The Standard ketogenic diet: This diet consists of a very low-carb, moderate-protein, and high-fat diet. The macronutrient proportions are 75% fat, 20% protein, and no more than 5% carbs (1Trusted Source).
• The Cyclical ketogenic variation: The CKD variation involves periods of higher-carb refeeds, such as 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high-carb days. (healthline.com)
• The Targeted ketogenic diet: This diet follows the general pattern of the Standard ketogenic diet with the exception of additional carbs before and after workouts. (Healthline.com)
• The High-protein ketogenic diet: This diet, also similar to the Standard ketogenic diet, includes more protein moving the ratio to 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs. (healthline.com)
If you are considering the ketogenic diet, start with the standard or high-protein. Cyclical or targeted ketogenic diets are more advanced methods typically only used by bodybuilders and athletes.
Fact #2: It Is Not Just Used For Weight Loss
The keto diet is typically used to aid weight loss; however, it has numerous other health benefits. For those suffering from ongoing medical conditions, the diet can serve as part of a more holistic treatment.
: Diabetes is characterized by high blood sugar, diminished or obsolete insulin function, and fluctuations in weight. A study found that the ketogenic diet was effective in reducing medication dependence in 7 of the 21 type 2 diabetics participants. (28Trusted Source, 29Trusted Source, 30Trusted Source). Another study found that a group restricted to the ketogenic diet lost on average 24.4 pounds, compared to 15.2 pounds lost by a group eating a high-carb diet. (2Trusted Source, 31Trusted Source).
• Heart disease
: Evidence suggests that the low-carbohydrate/high-protein diet was more effective than a low-fat diet in reducing weight and cardiovascular disease risk. (32Trusted Source, 33Trusted Source).
: Research has shown that the ketogenic diet can reduce seizures in epileptic children. It was effective in controlling difficult-to-control seizures and led to a decrease or discontinuation of medication use.
Fact #3: You Can Still Have A Drink (Sometimes!)
• Serving sizes of 1.5 ounces of rum, vodka, gin, tequila, whiskey all contain 0 grams of carbs. Red and white wine at a serving size of 5 ounces contains only 3-4 grams of carbs
• Do your best to avoid the following drinks: 1 cup (240ml) of Margarita has 13 grams of carbs. 1 cup of Sangria has 27 grams. A regular-sized beer (12 ounces) contains 12 grams.
The ketogenic diet is an excellent way to lose weight and improve your health. Just remember to do your research and consult your doctor before you begin the diet.